Fire crews were called to a small blaze in Ryde this afternoon (Saturday).
According to a spokesman for the IW Fire & Rescue Service, only a small two inch piece of wood, one of a set of hundreds, was damaged in the blaze.
It’s understood that a resident of The Strand lit a match at around 3.52pm, with fire crews from Newport and Ryde attending the scene not long after.
The resident extinguished the small fire himself shortly after using it to light his cigarette. There is no reason to believe arson was involved.