Gaza Flotilla Activists Held by Israel Launch Hunger Strike

ByJennifer Lopez

May 20, 2026
Gaza Flotilla Activists Held by Israel Launch Hunger Strike

At least 87 people detained by Israeli forces from a Gazabound aid flotilla have started a hunger strike, according to the organisers of the mission.

The Global Sumud Flotilla said the strike was launched to protest what it described as the illegal detention of its participants. The group also said the action was being carried out in solidarity with Palestinians held in Israeli prisons.

The hunger strike began after Israeli forces intercepted the last remaining vessel from the flotilla in international waters.

Final Boat Intercepted at Sea

Organisers said Israeli forces boarded the Lina al-Nabulsi boat late on Tuesday evening and detained six people on board. The vessel was the last of more than 50 boats that had departed from Marmaris, Turkiye, last week.

The flotilla’s stated goal was to reach Gaza and challenge Israel’s blockade of the territory. However, Israeli forces stopped the vessels before they could arrive.

Israel’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed that hundreds of participants had been transferred to Israeli vessels and were being taken to Israel. A ministry spokesman dismissed the mission as a publicity effort and said the activists would be allowed to meet with consular representatives.

Activists From Several Countries Detained

The detainees include citizens from multiple countries. Indonesia’s foreign ministry said nine Indonesian nationals were among those held and called for the immediate release of all vessels and participants.

The ministry said it would continue using diplomatic and consular channels to assist its citizens.

Irish citizens were also among those detained, including Margaret Connolly, a doctor and sister of Irish President Catherine Connolly. Reports said around 15 Irish nationals were being held.

Gaza Flotilla Activists Held by Israel Launch Hunger Strike

Countries Condemn Israeli Interceptions

Several countries criticised Israel’s actions, including Turkiye, Spain, Jordan, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Brazil, Indonesia, Colombia, Libya, and the Maldives.

They described the interceptions as violations of international law and international humanitarian law.

The United States took a different position, imposing sanctions on four activists linked to previous flotilla efforts. Washington claimed the organisers were acting in support of Hamas, though the accusation was made without evidence cited in the report.

Flotilla Mission Adds to Gaza Tensions

Israeli forces began stopping the vessels on Monday in international waters off the coast of Cyprus, according to organisers. They accused Israeli forces of raiding boats, firing rubber bullets, and detaining participants.

Israel has continued to defend its actions, saying the flotilla was not a genuine humanitarian mission but a political campaign.

The hunger strike adds new pressure to an already tense situation. Previous flotilla participants have also refused food while being held by Israel, while pro-Palestine activists jailed in the United Kingdom have taken part in long hunger strikes that led to serious health concerns.

Dispute Over Gaza Aid Mission Continues

The detention of the activists has triggered fresh diplomatic criticism and renewed debate over Israel’s blockade of Gaza.

For the flotilla organisers, the mission was an attempt to deliver aid and draw attention to conditions in Gaza. For Israel, the effort was a political stunt that it says was stopped for security reasons.

With dozens of activists now refusing food and several governments demanding action, the case is likely to remain a major point of international attention in the coming days.

ByJennifer Lopez

IWCP.net – Shorts – Isle of Wight Candy Press – An alternative view of Isle of Wight news.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *