Iran Requests Evidence Over Protest Death Claims by Trump and UN Experts

ByJennifer Lopez

February 21, 2026
Iran Requests Evidence Over Protest Death Claims by Trump and UN Experts

The Iran government has once again attributed the deaths during last month’s nationwide protests to what it describes as “terrorist operations,” following remarks by United States President Donald Trump and international human rights experts highlighting the scale of the violence.

On Saturday, Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi stated that authorities had published a list of 3,117 individuals identified as victims of recent unrest, including approximately 200 members of the security forces. He urged critics of the figures to present verifiable evidence if they believe the data to be inaccurate.

Araghchi, who previously said that 690 individuals on the list were classified as “terrorists” allegedly supported and armed by the United States and Israel, reiterated his position in a post on social media, stressing the government’s narrative regarding the nature of the incidents.

Diverging Death Toll Estimates Deepen Dispute

The minister’s remarks came shortly after President Trump told reporters that as many as 32,000 people were killed during the protests, describing the situation in Iran as severe under its current political system. The large gap between official figures and external estimates has intensified international debate over the true scale of casualties.

Meanwhile, Mai Sato, the United Nations special rapporteur on human rights in Iran, indicated that more than 20,000 civilians may have died, though she emphasised that reliable information remains difficult to obtain due to strict internet restrictions and a nationwide communications blackout imposed weeks earlier.

US-based rights organisation HRANA has reported documenting over 7,000 confirmed deaths and is investigating nearly 12,000 additional cases linked to the unrest. These varying figures highlight the challenges of verifying data amid limited access to independent information sources within the country.

UN Experts Call for Transparency and Accountability

Sato joined around 30 UN special rapporteurs and international human rights experts in a joint statement urging Iranian authorities to disclose the fate and whereabouts of tens of thousands of individuals who were reportedly arrested, missing or forcibly disappeared in the aftermath of the protests. The experts also called for an immediate halt to executions and death sentences connected to the demonstrations.

According to the statement, the overall scale of the crackdown remains unclear, with discrepancies between official statistics and grassroots reports causing ongoing distress for families searching for loved ones. The experts added that many of those detained or killed appear to be civilians from various provinces and backgrounds, including children, Afghan nationals, journalists, medical workers, artists and human rights defenders.

They further alleged that state media had broadcast confessions widely believed to have been coerced, raising additional concerns about due process and the treatment of detainees.

Iran Requests Evidence Over Protest Death Claims by Trump and UN Experts

Ongoing Unrest in Universities and Schools

As tensions persist, students in Tehran and other cities have begun returning to campuses after universities were temporarily closed or shifted to online classes during the protests. Reports indicate clashes between student groups at Sharif University, one of the country’s leading academic institutions, reflecting a deeply polarised environment.

Videos circulating online showed verbal confrontations between students and members affiliated with the Basij paramilitary forces linked to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). The incidents occurred amid heightened security measures in educational institutions and dormitories across the country.

Teachers and school staff in several cities near the capital reportedly staged strikes last week, protesting the deaths of at least 230 children and teenagers and the increased presence of security personnel in classrooms.

Mourning, Commemoration and Public Grief

Government-led mourning ceremonies were held in Tehran earlier in the week, attended by officials as part of efforts to address national grief. Culture Minister Reza Salehi-Amiri announced that upcoming Newroz celebrations would focus on themes of unity and empathy in response to the recent losses.

At the same time, many families have organised independent memorial gatherings marking 40 days since the deaths of relatives during the protests. Footage from various ceremonies shows large crowds holding portraits of victims, clapping, playing traditional instruments and, in some cases, dancing in symbolic acts of remembrance and defiance.

These commemorations often contrast with the formal religious mourning practices promoted by state institutions, highlighting the emotional divide within society.

One grieving father, speaking at a ceremony in the northern city of Gorgan, described his son — a 33-year-old victim — as an ordinary citizen, rejecting claims that he was involved in unrest or wrongdoing.

Growing International Attention and Regional Concerns

The escalating tensions have also drawn international reactions, with some countries urging their citizens to leave Iran as fears of instability and potential conflict increase. At the same time, Iranian officials continue diplomatic outreach, including media engagements advocating for what they describe as a fair agreement with Washington regarding the country’s nuclear programme.

With the threat of broader confrontation looming and conflicting casualty figures dominating global discourse, the situation remains highly contested both domestically and internationally.

ByJennifer Lopez

IWCP.net – Shorts – Isle of Wight Candy Press – An alternative view of Isle of Wight news.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *